Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kiddo Update

This morning Addie and I were playing in the basement and singing a song that goes "See the pony galloping galloping along the country lane, see the pony galloping galloping along the country lane. (then you slow down and say...) see the pony coming home...all tired out, all tired out" Then you repeat. So I was just running in circles, but Addie said "no, mommy, GALLOP, like ME" and indeed, she was galloping. So I said "Who taught you to gallop?" (thinking she would say "daddy") and her answer came in a very "duh" voice...

"A horsey, mommy. A horsey taught me to gallop"

AH...of course. WHAT was I thinking?

Not only is Addie speaking in almost exclusively full sentences lately, her mind is FULL of imagination--she can spend half an hour in her kitchen cooking soup for her sick friends: Wap, Goldilocks, Lehleh and Yehyeh (those four are ALWAYS sick). We play hair cut, ice cream shop, lemonade store, school, firetruck school (very different than regular school) and grocery store. Just in case you were wondering, in Addie's world a haircut, a cup of lemonade, an ice cream cone, and a cart full of groceries all cost "fiffy dollahs."

Other recent gems:

Me: Addie, it's dinner time. I already told you 2 more minutes, now your 2 minutes are up
Addie: Mommy, I'm PLAYing
Me: Addie, come now please
Addie: (sadly) You don't understand my playing...

----------

Addie: I'm going to read Coley a book
Me: That's a good idea
Addie: Come mommy, read with us
Me: I'm cooking dinner, why don't you read to him in the kitchen?
Addie: (pause) How about *I* cook dinner and you read to Coley?

----------
I'm putting Addie down for a nap and before she goes to sleep she always gets to read two books. Sometimes she likes to pretend it's library storytime. Cole was lying on the other side of me.

Me: Okay, kiddos--today we're going to read Curious George Rides
Addie: Yay. I like that book, Librarian
Me: Me too, young lady--what's your name again?
Addie: Addie.
Me: Nice to meet you Addie (Cole starts fussing). I'm just going to put Coley on my lap as I read, okay?
Addie: Heyyyy...why is there a BABY at storytime, Librarian?

(Addie's idea of a joke :)

She continues to be a great big sister to Cole. The other day we were coming home from the store. I let Addie out of the car and opened the car door next to Cole, but left him there to get some bags from the trunk and headed to open the door and put some of the bags inside. Addie comes towards me, then realizes Cole isn't in my hands, turns around and runs back to the car so he isn't alone. I love her :) Since a bath is part of Addie's daily bedtime routine, we're making it Cole's too--he can sit in his little bath chair and Addie's job is to wash his feet.

And Cole updates? He's a smiling FOOL lately. Really, it's sooo easy to get a smile out of him, yet it never gets tiresome! He's also very ticklish--tickle his belly and you get little heh-heh type giggles. I'm addicted to them. He reaches for toys and brings to them to his mouth. He's doing great at tummy time, spending longer and longer periods of time strengthening his neck muscles. Just this morning I set him down on his side on his playmat and he rolled onto his stomach! Not sure it "counts" since I started him halfway, but I was pretty excited. Of course, I don't want to get ahead of myself--it's quite nice to have one immobile child :) And he's found his toes!!!!

In other family updates, last Friday Steve and I celebrated 5 wonderful years of marriage. I'm proud to report that we are just as happy as the day we married--though maybe a bit less well-rested (or well-traveled) than 5 years ago.

All in all...were doing great!

1 comment:

Eva said...

I just loved these stories - it is almost midnight yet I am laughing aloud imagining the whole pictures as they happened.