Friday, January 29, 2010

Big girl bed!

Like I said in the previous post, we put Addie in a big girl bed this past weekend and it has gone really well in that she hasn't gotten out of it when she's not "supposed to" but that doesn't mean she's slept straight through the night yet. She will occasionally call us to help her find her lovey Hiccup lost in the covers, but goes back to bed quickly. I've heard stories of kids standing at the door screaming for hours, so I'm pretty happy with how it all went. Tonight was the first night she hasn't called us back to rub her back after the first putting down. I call that progress! We still welcome all positive vibes that will help Addie sleep straight through the night again....it's happened before, it can happen again!

So the bedtime routine goes like this: Bath (yes, pretty much every night unless we're out really late but that's rare. No, we don't think it's necessary as she's not all that dirty, but it's just become part of the routine. Hair gets washed every 3rd night or so), tooth-brushing, diaper and pajamas on. Then mommy reads a book of Addie's choice, then daddy reads a book of daddy's choice. Then Addie says good night to the random assortment of friends on the table next to her: Buzz Lightyear, Curious George, and a Little People Queen whom Addie has named "King." Then lights off, sound machine on, the magic clock turns to blue, then we sing Puff the Magic Dragon--once in our arms (we alternate nights) then once again in bed with mommy rubbing her back and daddy tucking in the blanket. Inside the bed with her is Hiccups 1 and 2 (of course, those are in her hand), Polar Bear (a...polar bear, what else?), Caillou (a sheep named after one of her favorite cartoon characters), Big Bear, Little Bear, and Abby--a doll she got on her first Christmas and was the first doll/animal that Addie named herself (since we named Hiccup). A cast of thousands! When the clock turns yellow in the morning...she can get up! Again, she stays in bed even when she wakes and the clock is already yellow or if she's up 10 minutes before the clock changes (and it's not set late, people, we put it at 6:05am which is stretching it for the girl who this summer was sometimes getting up at 4:45a!) and she's done well with that. Will it last? Who knows? In the meantime....we could also use some "sleep past 6:10am vibes" also....thanks, much appreciated :)

Here are some pics of the fam cuddling in the new big girl bed


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'll have to learn more about this clock! Just this morning as Anna was calling for me at 6:00 (okay, I shouldn't complain to you, but this is earlier than usual), I asked Matt, "When does she get a clock in her room so she knows when she can get up?"

Erin said...

Woo big bed! So do clock lights work in the opposite direction? Wish Addie and I could do a little early morning routine switcheroo: I get her wake up early vibes, she gets my trouble dragging her hiney out of bed vibes.