Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Can I brag?

So yeah, a family blog is pretty much all about bragging, right? So I can feel free to scream from the rooftops (of this limited blog readership) that Addie has started to read! She can sound out short words! She started doing this a couple of weeks after she turned 3. She has this great DVD called the Leap Frog Letter Factory--it has little songs that tell you how the letters sound " A says "Ah" "B says "Buh" type thing. And here and there while reading we will sound out a word--like in "Where the Wild Things Are" the character Max has his name on the boat, so we'll point to it and say "Muh-Ah-Xs--MAX"--you get the idea. In the bathtub we have these letters that stick to the wall when wet and just recently she started just reading what we were writing!

Full disclosure: I had to bribe her with some chocolate to make these videos--she groans when I whip out the camera these days. :)

Here are some short videos:


Addie reading the word Mug




Addie reading the word "Tip"




This is how Addie learned to spell her name, with this little song



She had sounded out and read these words already, she isn't usually this fast.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry--not
Working right now, I will fix later!
--monica

Erin said...

What a smartypants!! I am so impressed and amazed to see her little brain working and the pleasure she takes in it. GO ADDIE-0!