Monday, May 7, 2007

Popping the Questions

When we first got engaged, the first question everyone would ask was, "When's the date?" I suppose that all adult milestones must have an accompanying first question, because now when we tell people that we're pregnant, their first response is always, "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" And when informed that you can't tell until about 5 months, the next question usually is, "Do you think you'll find out?"

This one had always seemed like a no-brainer to me. Besides the fact that one can only take so much yellow and green, calling the baby "it" for 9 months just seems so...wrong. Referring to the bump in Monica's belly as "it" gives it too much of an eerie, alien-spawn quality. It'd be hard to fall asleep next to Monica each night knowing that the "it" growing inside her could bust out and eat me at any moment. Plus, it's hard to think up great baby names when you're using the same pronoun that you use for a spatula.

A few people have also asked me whether I'd prefer a boy or a girl. To me, that's like asking whether Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree is the better album. Sure, there are pros and cons for each. Girls, in the long-run, bring the nerve-wracking worries of dating one-track-minded boys. In the short-term, though, boys can be much more dangerous when changing a diaper. In the end, I'll take whatever we get. Each will bring its own future of treasured moments, and I can teach a girl how to burn things with a magnifying glass just as well as I can teach a boy.

Some people might get irritated being asked the same questions over and over again, but I actually don't mind. Each time someone asks, it restarts the fun process of dreaming up different images of what life would be like with a little girl or a baby boy. And besides, I know that it won't be long before people start asking, "When are you having another?"


- Steve (and Monica)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica & Steve,

What a wonderful way to keep everyone posted on the 'lil peanut's progress!! We're so incredibly excited for both of you as you embark on this amazing journey...And so looking forward to reading all about it!! Congratulations!!

With LOTS of love,
Becca & Craig

PS: Monica, I'm still excited to touch my first pregnant belly!! :)

G. Pearson said...

I can't believe what I just read...you said The Joshua Tree and AB have pros AND cons. haha Those albums only have pros!

Anonymous said...

I love the site! Just read it to the great-grammy to be. I don't remember you burning anything with a magnifier - but she says she does :-) I'm so excited - got a few more books for the gramma shelf and a couple of other things! Love to both - I mean all of you! nd
Stevo - like I said - Monsie is doing all the work so she decides if you get to know boy or girl! Love the momma-san

Tim said...

Congratulations, Mon & Steve!

I was recently wondering if y'all'd have a baby soon, in fact! We've got news, too--I'll write an actual e-mail for that.

Hope to see you next time we're in the District...

Tim Hamilton

Tim said...

P.S: Steve, you've still got your figure! You're hardly showing at all.

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

Steve, when do you thinkyou will need elastic waisted pants?

Anonymous said...

When we first got engaged, the first question everyone would ask was, "When's the date?"

These are such standard questions.
No less standard, than when I deliver the baby, as soon as the baby is out (literally), like seconds later, at least one family member will ask:
"how much does he weighs". The baby is still in my hand, umbilical cord is not even cut, but somebody almost always pops the question:"how much does she weigh?"

To which sometimes, when I am in the mood, I answer:"this baby was not born with a scale in his back, you have to wait a few minutes for the hospital scale". Or something similar.

Erin said...

I know one girl who was pretty dangerous with her diapers. Well, I "know" her. She is currently pretty dangerous with piped plumbing. Meaning, she reguarly relies on the handy plunger. If the little peanut is anything like this girl...sex-wise or not...good luck!