Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Farethewell, Lehleh

Remember Addie's imaginary friends? She had a handful--her closest buds were Lehleh and Wap. Then came Yehyeh, Eggy, and Goldilocks. They were often in an imaginary car behind us on the way to the grocery store. They came with her to bed to nap. She talked about them at least 5 times a day. Once we were at Target and Addie was in the cart and she suddenly laughed and I asked her what was so funny and she said "oh, Wap just ran by." And if Addie said something that surprised me I would ask her "Where did you learn that?" and she would usually say "Oh Lehleh taught me." She became their mom, their friend, they just filled in whatever role she needed for the day.


So one day Addie and Cole were doing a project in the kitchen. (Yogurt fingerpainting--hey you gotta get creative with a baby who puts everything in his mouth--we don't want purple poop afterall).



I asked Addie later if she had fun fingerpainting and she said "Yep. Lehleh wanted to fingerpaint too but she's too pretend." At the time I thought--hm, quite a complex thought for a little one. For the record, she had admitted before that her friends were pretend, she never really thought she "saw" them. But perhaps her comment was a bit too real for her because that night she said "I don't want to be a mommy anymore. My friends went away." And from that moment on, we went from 5 to a gazillion references to Wap and the gang a day to ZERO. None, no slip-ups, nada. Where did you learn that Addie? Oh, I watched it on TV.

Dare I say, I kind of miss Lehleh? Or maybe I'm just a little nostalgic because Addie is growing up! We went out to a restaurant for dinner last night and she ordered for herself! Who is this young lady?






:)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I just can't believe they're gone... just like that...

Yaya said...

my goodness she's growing up too soon!