Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween 2009!

So the story of Halloween 2009. As you probably know, Steve and I have been dressing as a theme for Halloween for all but the first of our 10 years together, from Homer and Marge, Mario and Luigi, Tigger and Pooh, Calvin and Hobbes, Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, etc. When Addie joined in the festivities last year, we continued the tradition as Yoda, Princess Leia and Han Solo

So since I'm pregnant this year, thinking it would be fun to incorporate the soon to be Silvestro in the costume, I came up with the following: Addie would be a cupcake, Steve would be a baker, and I would be an oven...with a bun in it :). I bought a cute cupcake hat from ebay and embarked on completing the rest of our costumes.

On the morning before I took the above pictures, I made the mistake of showing Addie the album of pictures of all our past Halloweens and she saw us as Calvin and Hobbes. See, though entirely inappropriate for an almost 2-year old, we read Calvin and Hobbes to Addie--she loves the pictures and the silly faces that Calvin makes. The minute she saw that pic...she became convinced she should be Hobbes for Halloween. "Addie! Hobbes! Hall-ween!" "No, Addie, you're going to be a cupcake." "Noooo....HOBBES!" So I spent the good part of a week trying to convince her otherwise, dressing her up in part of her cupcake costume (see above) and telling stories about Addie as a cupcake for Halloween, but the girl is stubborn, and there are a lot of battles in casa Silvestro and this was honestly one I did not want to fight. So a couple of weekends ago we found a cute and reasonably priced tiger costume, and this week I bought some felt and fashioned a stuffed Calvin doll so she wouldn't be just a plain old Tiger.

Before we dressed up for the day, we had some halloween fun at home. Addie's ever-faithful sleep companion Hiccup decided to join in the festivities and dress up too---in the clothes that her second-ever-faithful sleeping companion Oliver sometimes wears.


Addie with Hiccup dressed up as Oliver the doll

We went to a halloween party in the morning with friends from my mom's group, but with the crowds, Addie was in kind of a....mood :)


After nap we went to Addie's friend Wyatt's house to spend time with his fam & Reese's fam, and we hit Wyatt's neighborhood halloween bash.

Here's the official family photo at Wyatt's house


Reese as a Kangaroo and Addie

The dads at the neighborhood bash: Wyatt (also a tiger!) and his Daddy, Reese and her Daddy, and Addie and her Daddy

All in all we had a blast. We weren't home much to get trick or treaters, but we had some candy stashed away. Somehow (probably since we didn't actually go trick or treating--it was raining part of the evening and then it got too late) we got away with not giving Addie any candy, but then this morning, she saw the bowl and since it wasn't close to nap time, she got a mini reeses cup.

Addie's response. "Addie like it!"

2 comments:

Ellie and Charlie Durham said...

Love it all!!! You are so talented Monica!

Sarah said...

okay, so I guess I was right that this would be the last year that I would get to pick Anna's Halloween costume :) Addie is a very cute Hobbes :)